Saturday, February 18, 2017

Friday Afternoon - Tuesday

So I got home from the bone marrow biopsy and Katie went back to work.  I was hoping to rest for a bit and then do some work from home.  I sent a message to my oncologist saying things went well in the morning, but I was still having pain and swelling in my leg to the point where it was hard to walk.

Shortly after, I got a phone call from my oncologist encouraging me to go in and get an ultrasound on my leg that was hurting.  I was worried about Katie having to leave work yet again so I didn't want to bug her.  Dr Ambrose said he had an ultrasound scheduled at 1 and to get going.  I called Katie and explained what was going on so she ended up coming to get me and run back to the hospital.  Again.

When I got to the ultrasound, the tech was super nice.  She explained what she was going to do and how it worked.  She ran down my left leg and was talking the entire time.  Explained what she was seeing, what she was looking for, stuff like that.

Then she switched to my right leg.  Once she got started, she went quiet.  She ran it a few times, then changed the head on the machine and ran it again.  Then changed it back and ran it again.  So I knew something was up.  She finished up and cleaned the machine, then said she had to go find a doctor.  Before she left, she said I had to lay super still until she got back.  Not to move AT ALL.  Uh oh.

The doctor came back and took a look at the scans.  Then explained what was going on.  I had a blood clot in my leg.  I think I asked how big and he replied: 'pretty much your whole leg.'  He explained a few different treatment options and the drawbacks.  I said I wanted to go the aggressive route and they wheeled me out.  I remember going to the same prep station as for the morning and seeing some of the same nurses.  They looked confused, so that made me laugh.  I think I was prepped and in surgery by 2.

I woke up later in the ICU.  The doctor said they had put a sheath into my leg to make the meds more effective.  That also meant I couldn't move.  Anyone that knows me knows that is tough.  My leg was very painful, I could only sit up a certain amount in the bed, I couldn't move it because the IV's went directly into my leg.  Ugh.  So that was Friday night.

Katie brought Eva in to say hi.  She was scared at first so I felt bad.  Katie explained what was going on and it was all to help me get better, so that helped her a bit.  They left and I had my first meal on my clear liquid diet.  Chicken broth, jello and apple juice.  That is pretty much what I ate for the next 3 days.

Time crawled the next few days.  I had daily checks on my leg where they wheeled me down to the scan room and I actually got to move and lay on my belly.  Otherwise I was on my back and immobile.  They gave me pain meds when needed, but I tried to stretch them as much as I could.  Just not a pill guy.  I should have kept up on them better.  Overnights, were rough.  I wasn't sleeping, so I was all over the place in my mind.  My anxiety peeked Sunday night I think.  I wasn't sleeping, was in a lot of pain and pretty much lost it.  My nurse came in and offered meds and I accepted.  I think I slept till 4:30 or 5am, which was the most sleep I'd had since I checked in.

I made it through the rest of my time there.  I was checked again on Monday and they ended up having to go in and clean out the rest of the clot.  The meds worked, but there was just so much in there.  I remember hearing one of the doctors saying he was surprised there was any blood flow at all.

Monday night I was off bed rest and the clear liquid diet.  As soon as I could after surgery, I was sitting up in the chair.  My leg was still swollen and painful, but it was better than laying down.  I also got to order some food, so I went with the fruit cup and some stir fry.  Didn't want to overdo it, but I also hadn't eaten since the night before.

Tuesday morning rolled around.  About 2am, I was woken up and the nurse explained they needed my room.  I was in the least danger in the ICU, so they took me down to the general unit, which was just fine.  I had no problem with giving up my room to someone that needed it more.  The room was smaller, but the nurses were just as good.  Was amazed with everyone that checked on me the whole time I was in there.  Always positive, always helpful.  Anyways, I had breakfast and waited.  My surgeon was due in around noon so I hung out.  Katie stopped by when she could and there was a physical therapist that came in to fit me for a walker.  Shot to the ego, but it helped me get around.  I had actually worked with him a few years ago on my back and he remembered me.  Still a great guy.

We got that worked out and not long after the surgeon came in.  Explained a few things, mostly that I'm not on a blood thinner and then he sent me home.  It took me a while to get adjusted to being home, but it was good.  Still hard to move around but I was home.  It was nice to surprise the kids when they got home from school, but hard to see Katie running everyone around when all I could do was lay there.  I didn't sleep well that night, but it was better than in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment