Thursday, February 23, 2017

First Day of Chemo

Katie had arranged to take the day off and my dad stuck around to sit with me for the first treatment too.  We were there and 8am and ran into our neighbors.  After that, we went downstairs to get started.

I basically sat in chair and they hooked me up to IV's via my med port in my chest.  They were able to get three of the meds in thru the port for the day, then the fourth is in pill form for the next 5 days.  There was a hold up on one of the meds due to insurance being slow in allowing it, but it came through right before we got started.  They decided since the one med is toughest and can potentially cause the most problems, that I'd come back tomorrow (Thursday) and take that one separately.

They started pushing pre-meds to make things easier, then got me going on the real stuff.  It went just fine.  It was long and boring, so I felt bad Katie and dad had to sit around and stare at me.  I was a little sore around my port and had a headache, but for the most part it was uneventful, which was just fine with me.

Things ended quietly and we were on our way about 1:30.  Dad said he'd spring for lunch so we went to the Ground Round in Fargo.  It was nice catching up with dad and just being up.  I still felt good, but on the way home I could feel thing happening.  It felt like my headache was getting worse and there was a fog rolling in on my brain.  We made it home and I went to bed.  I slept restlessly for about 2 hours and then was up.  I took the meds I needed and pretty much stayed in bed until bed time.  I did have some ice cream and a chicken pot pie for dinner, which tasted amazing.  I'm hoping I will get to keep most of my tastes, but am not banking on it.  Katie and I watched an X-Men movie we hadn't seen before after that.  She didn't get to see much since the kids were all over the place, but it was nice to relax a bit after a long day with her.

We were up this morning (Thursday) and I'm currently sitting in the same chair and getting started with the other med in the cycle.  I'm going to be here a while, but it feels like I might be sleeping here shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment